I got the fabulous book Sew U for Christmas, and ever since then I have been trying to get the patterns exactly the way I want them. I’ve mainly been focusing on the skirt. The largest pattern size was too tight for me, so I kept adjusting the pattern according to my measurements. I had to keep adjusting it to make it work for my hips, and there were some failed attempts. After aggressive and honest measuring, adjustments to the darts so they ended at my widest point and adding extra room to accompany my hips, I’ve finally got a skirt that fits. And it’s even lined. I’m ecstatic!
The blue fabric is some synthetic material left over from my prom dress I made years ago, so I was glad to finally make something with it. The lining is some lovely eyelet cotton. Normally, lining is supposed to be shorter than the main layer, but I decided to let mine peak out a bit. I might re-hem it about 1/2 shorter though. Now that I’ve finally got the pattern figured out, I’ve got plans for several more skirts, including an above-the-knee denim skirt and a hounds-tooth corduroy number. Once there’s a little more cash flow, some lovely summery cotton skirts will be in the works as well.