(photo by me)
In honor of Earth Day, I thought I’d make a list of various ways to help the environment while staying in style. Obviously, this doesn’t cover the gamut of everything you can do, but it is a start.
- Buy used or vintage: Buying used or vintage clothes is good because it’s recycling something that someone else has already worn. Vintage also has the plus side of often being more well-constructed than modern clothes
- Buy better, buy less: When buying new items, it pays to spend a bit. When you get something that is good quality, it will last you much longer, and thus avoid getting sent to the dump from becoming unmendable too soon.
- Buy eco-friendly: Organic cotton, bamboo fabric, re-cycled creations all do their part towards bettering the environment
- Buy handmade: Many handmade artistans use recycled materials, and go about their creations in ways that are eco-friendly.
- Avoid synthetics: While it may be difficult to completely eliminate synthetics, most are best to be avoided. Most synthetics take a very long time to break down, so those 70’s polyester jumpsuits are still sitting in the landfills. Natural fibers are better for the environment and more pleasant to wear.
How do you practice sustainable style?