You may be familiar with my matching blue and purple Target tunics that I thrifted awhile ago. You can see the purple one here and the blue one here. While I love how they fit, I’ve never really liked the length. They were too short to wear with leggings, but an awkward length for jeans. I tried shortening the purple one a few months ago, but ended up not liking it. Yesterday, I took inspiration from some amazing re-cons I’ve been looking at lately, and created a completely new tunic.
I measured my tunic against another tunic that I like the length of, and figured out that I needed to add about six inches. I cut six inches off the bottom of the purple tunic (including the part I had cut off and re-attached). I then sewed that onto the hem of the blue tunic. This gave me the length that I wanted, but the color blocking looked odd. I decided to add some purple details at the collar to give the tunic more continutity.
Inspired by Tatertots and Jello’s recent t-shirt refashion, I decided to create some flower details. I cut circles from the purple fabric, using my lens cap as a pattern for the larger circle and a paper holder (not shown) to make the smaller circles. The larger one has three layers and the smaller ones have two. Following the tutorial, I folded the layers in half, and stitched in the middle, then folded the other way and stitched again.
After this, I sewed them onto the tunic, and stitched buttons in the middle. I chose blue buttons that were a similar tone to the blue part of the tunic, to help further continuity.
I absolutely love how the finished tunic turned out! I can see myself wearing this a lot more than the old tunic. It looks amazing with leggings and skinny jeans, and I could even wear it as a swimsuit cover up at the beach. Next, I plan on fashioning the leftovers of the purple tunic into a new dress or tunic. Hopefully, I’ll post that next week.